Friday, September 24, 2010

Fiberglass Wookiee

Since this will be my first ever attempt to make a fiberglass mold, I was expecting some "hiccups". I got them.

But now I know how this stuff works (other than reading about it - big difference for a visual thinker like me) and I can tackle further parts with more confidence and excitement.


Bondo/Resin Gel Coat


I wanted to do at least 3 layers of fiberglass but ran out of resin and had to settle with two. The photo above is the mask flipped over and I am ready to put up the clay wall for the second half of the helmet. As you can see, there is a lot of clay stuck to my fiberglass mold. It didn't demold at all. I had to clean off every inch with a solvent. It was horrible. I didn't use PVA because I thought I could get by without it, and I probably still can, but this event had made me see its value, and I think I will order some ASAP. It's a sealant that helps the mold come off easily.

I forgot to take a photo of the cured fiberglass, but I am not happy with it. It's crude. I'll post photos of the finished mold when I have them.

No comments:

Post a Comment